Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Next encounter with the authorities

Ok I told you about the first experience where my wallet was stolen but I was treated very kindly by the police. 

Here's the next and hopefully last disaster on the metro. Fyi I can't remember ever having an experience like either of these before, in all my visits to Paris. 

I had never taken the bus before here, except for when I lived here and sometimes took the bus to school instead of walking.  Always liked taking the train.  Until a few days ago, after the pickpocket incident.  I decided to give the bus a try. First attempt mostly positive, excerpt that someone gave me bad info and I took the bus in the wrong direction. I was almost at the end of the line before I realized it. No biggie. I went back in the right direction and the bus driver told me to just explain to the new driver and I wouldn't be charged.  Anyway it was a nice excursion through parts of the city I hadn't seen before. 

Next day, got on the bus again  when for some reason the machine rejected my ticket. I didn't  understand but was already on the bus so ignored it. Guess who came along? One of the inspectors.  I knew that there were heavy fines and tried to explain that I had had my wallet stolen and had very little money and no credit cards.  (I  didn't mention the 50 euros I had in my shoe) I also didn't have any identification. i guess I should have kept the police report with me. I was in no way going to carry my passport around after the theft.

The guy was not very sympathetic.  He didn't seem  to believe my story and eventually told me to get off the bus with him. I thought he said he was going to call or bring me to the police. But after a few minutes he just gave up and started walking away. Maybe it was the crowd starting to gather around us. I couldn't totally blame him. it was such a ridiculous sounding story. But he could  have been kinder.

I thought the problem was that metro tickets weren't good on the buses, and that was why the machine had rejected mine. But when, back at the apartment, I looked it up, I read that the tickets were good on both trains and buses , as I would have expected.. So I still don't know why mine was rejected. I just know that if it  happens again I  will go up to the driver and explain my problem. Meanwhile if anyone knows the answer please let me know asap. 

No comments: