Friday, October 4, 2024

Some days work out perfectly

The days that work out perfectly are not usually the ones that work out as
planned. The first time I tried to find the Museum of Naif Art I never did. I hadn't known about the museum at all. Only came across it because it was in walking distance from my apartment. It seems to not be well known at all. Perhaps by the locals. I'll have to ask Hilliare, my host, if he is familiar with it. I was determined to find the museum and so set out again a couple of day later. I was worried that it was going to be uphill since it's right at the edge of Montmartre.  But it wasn't. And this time I had no trouble finding it at all coming from a different angle. Go figure. This little museum turned out to be one of the highlights of my entire stay here , made even better by my feeling of discovery. There were two exhibits and no permanent collection.it felt like more of a gallery, but not one that felt elite or offputting. I described the exhibit here in one of my other posts. It was wonderful. Before entering the museum, I noticed that there were several fabric stores around the neighborhood. In fact, it was more than several. The whole area seemed occupied by fabric stores, some large, some tiny. They were more than just fabric stores, they had lots of notions like buttons, zippers in many colors, all kinds of ribbons, on rolling displays, from narrow to wide, many unusual and beautiful ones. I don't sew, but thoroughly enjoyed browsing the stores. They sold fabric in bolts, from a quarter meter up, and also littlethink packets of remnants of all kinds, costing from 1 to 3 or 4 euros. I bought a few short pieces of ribbons, and left them on display on my living room table for the rest of my stay. My intention is to incorporate them into mixed media pieces with fabric and mosaics. I am inspired by Valerie, our French mosaic teacher in Provence, who has been incorporating brocade and other materials into some of her mosaic pieces. So that was my day, walking and a wonderful find of a museum, and fabric. I think I cooked dinner at home, as I did the majority of days.

No comments: